Saturday, April 25, 2009

It Takes all Kinds: Morality and Understanding More of Morality

When I was younger, I used to idolize storybook characters, video game heroes and Saturday morning cartoons. I idolized them specifically because they held the same kind of moral fiber that I really wanted to have too. All that, "Good will prevail over evil. Everyone gets what they deserve. People are innately good." I wanted to live by these cliche's but the problem is that I have never met someone who fit my "perfect image."

Then again, I could be looking too hard and need to relax my mind a little. I am too cynical for my age. It could be due to the fact that I am not phased anymore about the rampant multiple killings or people who call others some kind of character flaw moniker. I was used to that as a kid with things like Columbine and my own high school life.

My moral pathway dilemma stems from something a little harder to talk about. I am running very low on role models and people I know will be behind me when things get rough. Right now, I could probably only count one or two (most would say that's plenty, but I hold to the fact that no one's perfect). In my experience, Looking up to someone is my way of putting some fuel on the fire under my ass. Having someone back you up will make sure your ass isn't burned by something stupid you choose to do.

I have been following the stories of some artists to see how they felt they were progressing in life and in their professional careers. One (whom I am embarrassed to mention after recent events) had written about how motivated and 'big-brother' he felt when someone mentioned he was looked up to. I look forward to the day when I can mentor someone, when someone would come to me for help because they thought I was the best person to teach them. That would be my affirmation that I had achieved at least a dozen of the goals I set out for myself way back when the Magic School Bus sounded like a great adventure.

Today is the 2nd to last day I will remain in Virginia with the Wayside theatre. It's been 10 months and 28 days this morning. If I could write down everything I've learned in this internship, I'd write a book, and it would sell maybe... oh who knows... it'd be a good coffee table book. I leave sunday night after Larry's goodbye party. I am sure it will be tearful, but there's no place else I'd rather be this month than in our backyard having one last hurrah with my castmates and newfound friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment